Aberdeen Places Of Worship
ABERDEEN PLACES OF WORSHIP aberdeen has about 60 places of worship, with nearly 48,000 sittings. There are 10 Established churches; 20 Free, 6 Episcopalian, 6 United Presbyterian, 5 Congregational, 2 Baptist, 2 Methodist, 2 Evangelical Union, 1 Unitarian, 1 of Roman Catholic, 1 of Friends, and 1 of Original Seceders. There are also several mission chapels. In 1843 all the Established ministers seceded, with 10,000 lay members. The Established and Free Church denominations have each about 11,000 members in communion. The Established West and East churches, in the centre of the city, within St Nicholas churchyard, form a continuous building 220 feet long, including an intervening aisle, over which is a tower and spire 140 feet high. The West was built in 1775 in the Italian style, and the East in 1834 in the Gothic, each costing about £5000. They occupy the site of the original cruciform church of St Nicholas, erected in the 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries. One of 'the nine bells in the tower bears the date of 1352. and is 4 feet diameter at the mouth, 31 feet high, and very thick. The Union Street front of the churchyard is occupied by a very elegant granite facade, built in 1830, at the cost of £1460. It is 1471 feet long, with a central arched gateway and entablature 321 feet high, with two attached Ionic columns on each side. Each of the two wings has six Ionic columns (o° single granite blocks, 15 feet 2 inches long), with basement and entablature, the whole being 231 feet high. The following are the style, cost, and date of erection of the other principal Aberdeen churches - St Andrew's, Episcopal, Gothic, £6000, 1817 ; North Church, Established, Greek, £10,000, 1831; three churches in a cruciform group, Free, simple Lancet Gothic, with a fine brick spire 174 feet high, £5000, 1844 ; Roman Catholic, Gothic, £12,000, 1859; Free West, Gothic, £12,856, 1869, with a spire 175 feet high.