Agram, Or Zagrab
AGRAM, or ZAGRAB, the capital of the Austrian province of Croatia, is finely situated on a hill near the banks of the Save, in 45° 49' N. lat. and 16° 1' E. long., 160 miles south of Vienna. It is the seat of the governor of Slavonia and Croatia, of a bishop, of the courts of justice, and of the meetings of the provincial diet. Agram is divided into three parts, called the upper and lower towns, and the town of the bishop. It has a lyceum, library, museum, gymnasium, an ancient cathedral, and a large library. Some silk and porcelain are manufactured, and a brisk trade is carried on in grain, potash, tobacco, and honey. copulation in 1869, 19,857.