ALMEIDA, a strongly-fortified town of Portugal, in the province of Beira, situated between the Coa and the Dims Casas, a branch of the Agueda, 95 miles N.E. of Coimbra, and 25 miles from the Spanish fortress of Ciudad Rodrigo. It was taken by the Spaniards in 1762, and again by the French in 1810. The recapture of it by the Duke of Wellington in 1811 was deemed one of the most brilliant exploits of the Peninsular war. It is well fortified, and contains an ancient church ^1.-1d two hospitals. Population, 6d80.