Aberdeen Medico Chirurgical
ABERDEEN MEDICO CHIRURGICAL The Medico-Chirurgical Society of Aberdeen was founded in 1789. The hall was built in 1820 at a cost of £4000, and is adorned with an Ionic portico of four granite columns, 27 feet high. It has 42 members, and a library of 5000 volumes. The legal practitioners of Aberdeen have been styled advocates since 1633, and received royal charters in 1774, 1779, and 1862. They form a society., called the Society of Advocates, of 127'members in 1873, with a hall built in 1S71 for £5075, a library of nearly 6000 volumes, and a fund to support decayed and indigent members, and their nearest relatives. The revenue in. 1872 was £2S80.
Aberdeen has one daily and three weekly newspapers. The Aberdeen Journal, established in 1748, is the oldest newspaper north of the Forth.
The places of out-door recreation and amusement are chiefly the following : - The Links, a grassy, benty, and sandy tract, 2 miles Tong and I to 3 mile broad, along the shore between the mouths of the Dee and the Don. It is mostly only a few feet above the sea, but the Broad ]fill rises to 91 feet. Cattle shows, reviews, &c., are held on the Links. To the north-west of the town, a Public Recreation Park of 13 acres was laid out. in 1872, at the cost of £3000, with walks, grass, trees, shrubs, and flowers.
Daily observations from 1857 to 1872 show the mean temperature of Aberdeen for the year to be 450.8 Fahr., for the three summer months 56° Fahr., and for the three winter months 370.3. The average yearly rainfall is 30.57 inches. .Aberdeen is the healthiest of the large Scottish towns.. East winds prevail in spring.
Since 1867 £50,000 has been spent in constructing main sewers throughout the city. A few acres of farm land have been irrigated by part of the sewage.
The city is governed-by a corporation, the magistrates and town council, consisting of twenty-five councillors, including a provost, six bailies, a dean of guild, a treasurer, &c. The corporation revenue in the year 1871-72 was X11,198. The police, water, and gas are managed by the council. The municipal and police burgh has an area of nearly three square miles, with 12,514 municipal electors, and with assessable property valued at £230,000 in 1873. The Parliamentary burgh has an area of nine square miles, including Old Aberdeen and Woodside, with 14,253 Parliamentary electors, and real. property to the value of £309,328 in 1873. It returns one member to Parliament. The population of Aberdeen in 1396 was about 3000; in 1643, 8750; in 1708, 5556; in 1801, 26,992; in 1841, 63,262; and in 1871, 88,125; with 6718 inhabited houses, 292 uninhabited, and 77 building.