APPLEBY, a market and borough town of England, capital of Westmoreland, situated on the Eden, 13 miles S.E. of Penrith. The greater part of Appleby, consisting of a broad, irregularly built street, from which smaller ones branch off, occupies the slope of a hill on the left bank of the river, in the parish of Appleby St Lawrence; but on the opposite bank, in the parish of Appleby St Michael, is the Seal and Anns.
ancient castle, two parish churches, as well as Wesleyan places of worship, a town and a county hall, a jail, an hospital for thirteen poor women, and a grammar school. There is a municipal corporation, and previous to the Reform Act of 1832 the town returned two members to parliament. It has for a long time been a place of small importance, with little trade, and hardly any manufactures. Population of the Improvement Commissioners' District in 1871, 1989.