ARAD, OLD, a city of Hungary, in the county of Arad, situated on the Maros, 145 miles S.E. of Pesth. It is a well-built town, with a fortress of considerable strength, erected in 1763, which occupies an advantageous position between two branches of the river. It is the seat of a Greek bishop, and has a Greek theological seminary. Its chief manufacture is that of tobacco; and, besides carrying on a large trade in corn, it possesses one of the most celebrated cattle fairs in Hungary. In 1849 the fortress of Arad was captured by the Hungarian rebels, who made it their headquarters during the latter part of the insurrection. It was from it that Kossuth issued his famous proclamation, and it was here that he handed over the supreme military and civil power to Gorgey. The fortress was recaptured shortly after the surrender of Gorgey to the Russians at Vilagos. The population of Old Arad is 32,725, many of whom are Jews, while many belong to the Greek Church. NEW ARAD, situated on the left bank of the Maros, opposite to Old Arad, is a place of some trade, with a population of about 4000, including many Germans.