BEREZOFF, a town of Asiatic Russia, capital of a circle iu Tobolsk, 700 miles N. of that city, situated on three hills on the left bank of the Sosna, 13 miles above its mouth, and on the Bogul, a tributary of the Sosna, in 63° 55' N. lat. and 64° 7' E. long., at a height of 297 feet above the sea-level. Berezoff was founded in 1593 for the collection of taxes near the Ostyak settlement of Stimgfit-Bozh, which means in Russian Berezovi-Gorod, or Birch-town. Berezoff was more than once exposed to destructive conflagrations, as, for example, in 1719. In the second quarter of the 18th century Berezoff was appointed a place of banishment for certain important royal families. In 1727 Prince Menschikoff was sent thither with his sons and two daughters, of whom the eldest, Mary, was the first bride of Peter II.; and in 1730 he was followed by Prince Ivan Dolgoruki, with his wife, father, mother, three brothers and three sisters, of whom Catherine was the second bride of Peter II. In 1742 General Osterman was sent to Berezoff with his wife, and died there in 1747. In 1782 the town was raised to the rank of chief town of a district of the Tobolsk government. In 1808 it was again burned down. In 1860 it had two stone churches, a cathedral called the Resurrection of the Lord, near which lie buried Mary Menschikoff and some of the Dolgorukis, and the church of Our Lady's Conception, built on the site of the Menschikoff building. There are in the town a departmental school, a lazaretto, and a stranger's hospital. The trade, which is of considerable importance, consists of furs, mammoth bones, dried and salted fish, &c. There is a yearly market, in which the transactions amount to £9000. Population in 1860, 1462.