BANGOR, a seaport town in the state of Maine, North America, capital of the county of Penobscot, on the river of that name, at its junction with the Kenduskeag, 60 miles from the sea. Let. 44° 47' 50" N., long. 68° 47' W. It was incorporated as a town in 1791, and raised to the rank of a city in 1834. The harbour is spacious, and affords anchorage for the largest vessels at high tide. The chief article of trade is timber, which employs about 2000 ships annually; and there are saw-mills, planing-mills, ship-yards, foundries, and manufactories of furniture. There are numerous good schools arranged on a graduated scale, and churches of about ten different denominations. A theological seminary belonging to the Congregationalists was founded in 1816. A library, instituted in 1843, has upwards of 11,000 volumes. Population in 1870, 18,289.