BARQUISIMETO, a city of Venezuela, and since 1830 the capital of the province of Nueva Segovia, is situated on a confluent of the Portuguesa, which belongs to the northern part of the Orinoco system. The surrounding district is fertile, and produces excellent coffee, cocoa, and sugar ; and the climate is healthy and pleasant. Barquisimeto was founded in 1522 by Juan de Villegas, principally for the exploration and working of gold-mines supposed to exist in the neighbourhood ; and at first it received the name of Nueva Segovia in honour of his native city. The commercial advantages of its situation soon raised it to considerable prosperity. In 1807 it had about 15,000 inhabitants ; but on the 26th of March 1812, it was totally destroyed by an earthquake. It has since been regularly rebuilt, and, in spite of the disastrous effects of the revolutionaiy wars, has recovered its position. Among its public buildings may be mentioned a college and several schools. The inhabitants are partly engaged in the rearing of horses and mules. Population in 1873, 25,661.