BENGAZI, a seaport town on the northern coast of Africa, and capital of the province of Barca, is situated on a narrow strip of land between the Gulf of Sidra and a salt lake, in 30° 7' N. lat. and 20° 3' E. long. Though for the most part poorly built, it has one or two buildings of some pretension - an ancient castle, a mosque, a Franciscan monastery, Government buildings, and barracks. The wells in the town being brackish, drinking water has to be brought from the village of Sowani. The harbour is almost rendered useless by accumulations of sand, and ships have to discharge by means of lighters. Legitimate trade has recently been neglected by the inhabitants, who find it more profitable to furnish slaves to the Alexandrian market. The exports, which consist chiefly of sheep, wool, barley, wheat, butter, and salt, amounted in 1874 to ...-C279;000, while the imports, of which the most important item is cloth goods, were valued at £162,600. Consuls are maintained at Bengazi by England and Italy, and France is represented by a vice-consul. The population, estimated in 1862 at 6000 or 7000, has since undergone various fluctuations, and suffered especially from an epidemic in 1872.