BHAMO, or BANmo (in Chinese, TSINGGAT), a city of Upper Burmah, situated in 24° 16' N. lat. and 95' 54' 47" E. long., on the left bank of the Irawady, a short distance below its confluence with the Tapeng, and about 300 miles up the river from Mandalay the capital. It was formerly a very flourishing city, and the chief town of a Shan principality; and th-ough greatly decayed, it is still the seat of a Burmese governor and the centre of a considerable trade. At the time of Dr John Anderson's visit in the year 1868 (Expedition, to Western, Yunnan, 1871), it consisted of about 500 houses of sun-burnt brick, and had an estimated population of 2500, partly Shans and partly Chinese. The latter possess a temple and theatre, and there were remains of ancient pagodas and other buildings. In the neighbourhood are ruins of two cities, called Tsampenago, both of considerable extent. Special attention has been directed to Bharno as an important position for the development of commerce between British India and Western Yunnan, no fewer than four practicable routes leading eastward from the city to Momein.