BALLYMENA, a town of Ireland, county Antrim, on the Braid, an affluent of the Maine, two miles above their junction. It is 33 miles N.N.W. of Belfast, with which it is connected by railway. The town owes its prosperity chiefly to its linen trade, introduced in 1733, which gives employment to the greater part of the inhabitants. It has a parish church, several chapels and schools, a market-house, and four branch banks. There is a newspaper published in the town called the Ballymena Obseiver. Population in 1871, including Hanyville in the suburbs, 7931.
BA.LLYSHANNON, a seaport and market-town of Ireland, county of Donegal, situated at the mouth of the Erne. Lat. 54° 30' N., long. 8' 11' W. The river is here crossed by a bridge of fourteen arches, which connects the town with the suburb of Purt. Below the bridge the river forms a beautiful cascade, 150 yards wide, with a fall at low water of 16 feet. The harbour is a small creek of Donegal Bay, about 600 yards long and 350 yards broad, and is only accessible to small vessels. The town contains a church, several chapels, a bank, a market-house, barracks, and a union workhouse. The salmon fishery is the only important occupation. Previous to the Union Ballyshannon returned two members to the Irish Parliament. Population in 1871, 2958.