BLACKPOOL, a seaside town of England, in Lancashire, situated on the coast to the north of the estuary of the Ribble, about 20 miles W of Preston by rail. - It is largely frequented as a bathing-place. A good sandy beach, bracing air, and a fine view, are its chief attractions. In the end of last century it was a mere hamlet, but since then it has gradually increased. It has two churches, two market-halls, a court-house, and assembly rooms. The parade affords a fine promenade. A new pier was built in 1866. Population in 1871, 6100.