BARA BANKI, a district of British India under the jurisdiction of the Chief Commissioner of Oudh, lies between 26° and 28° of N. lat. and 81° and 82° of E. long. It is bounded on the N.W. by the district of Sitapur ; on the N. by Bharaich ; on the N.E. by Gonda ; on the E. by Faiziabad ; on the S. by Sultinpur and Rai Buell; and on the W. by Lucknow. The district stretches out in a level plain interspersed with numerous fhi/s or marshes. In the upper part of the district the soil is sandy, while in the lower part it is clayey, and produces finer crops. The principal rivers are the Ghagra (Cogra), forming the northern boundary, and the Gamtf, flowing through the middle of the district. Both are navigable by country cargo boats. Area, 1735 square miles, of which 1244 are classified as follows :-821 cultivated, 172 culturable but not cultivated, and 251 unculturable waste. Estimated population in 1869, 875,587, or 650 to the square mile, living in 148,166 houses and 2065 villages ; Hindus, 748,061 ; Mahometans, 127,315 ; Christians, 76. Population in 1872, 1,101,951 souls. Five towns in the district contain over 5000 inhabitants - Nawabganj, 10,496 ; Rudaulf, 12,517 ; Fathipur, 7494 ; Dariabad, 5999 ; and Ramnagar, 5714. Principal crops, and their acreage : - Rice, 132,459 acres ; wheat, 221,583 ; pulses and other food grains, 304,636 ; oil-seeds, 23,000; sugar-cane, 29,586; cotton, 509; opium, 3423; indigo, 4875 ; fibres, 675 ; tobacco, 6051; and vegetables, 6351 acres. The agricultural stock and beasts of burden in the district consisted in 1871-72 of 83,232 cows and bullocks, 1000 horses, 2590 ponies, 2840 donkeys, 75,928 sheep and goats, 51,060 pigs, 1181 carts, 26,121 ploughs, and 1533 boats. Of the population returned in 1869, 741,989 were agriculturists, and 133,598 non-agriculturists. The means of communication within the district consist of 337 miles of well-made roads, and 78 miles of railway were under construction in 1872. Total revenue in 1871-72, £165,662, of which £157,505, or 95 per cent., was derived from the land. The police consist of (1), a regular constabulary force, 490 strong, maintained at a cost of £6812 per annum ; and (2), the village watch, numbering 955S men ; total, 10,048, or about 1 to each 100 of the population, according to the estimate of 1872.