BROACH, the principal place of the district of the same name, situated on an elevated mound, supposed to be artificial, on the northern bank of the Nerbudda, about 30 miles above its mouth, in 21° 42' N. lat. and 73° 2' E. long. The river is here a noble sheet of water, two miles wide at ebb tide, but shallow for the most part even at flood-tide, though there is then a deep but intricate channel admitting vessels of considerable burden. In 1872 the population of the town and municipality was returned at 36,932. As in the generality of eastern towns, the streets are narrow and the houses lofty. It has a considerable trade, and annually exports large quantities of raw cotton to Bombay. Broach is thought with some appearance of probability to have been the Barygaza of Ptolemy and Arrian. Upon the conquest of Guzerat by the Mahometans, and the formation of the state of that name, Broach formed part of the new kingdom. On its overthrow by Akbar in 1572, it was annexed to the Mughul empire and governed by a Nawab. The Marhattds became its masters in 1685, from which period it was held in subordination to the Peshwa until 1772, when it was captured by a force under General Wedderburn (brother to Lord Loughborough), who was killed in the assault. In 1783 it was ceded by the British to Sindhia in acknowledgment of certain services. It was stormed in 1803 by a detachment commanded by Colonel Woodington, and was finally ceded to the East India Company by Sindhid under the treaty of Serji Anjangtion. Distance north from Bombay 190 miles.