BUNZLAU (1.), the chief town of a circle in the government of Liegnitz in Prussian Silesia, ou the right bank of the Bober, about 27 miles from the city of Liegnitz by the Berlin and Breslau Railway, which crosses the river by a noble viaduct. The older part of the town is still surrounded with fortifications. Its public institutions comprise a gymnasium, a normal college, an orphan asylum, and the provincial lunatic asylum. The house is shown where Opitz was born in 1597, and in the market-place is a east-iron obelisk to field-marshal Kutusoff. The Bunzlau pottery is famous ; woollen and linen cloth are manufactured, and there is a considerable trade in grain and cattle. Bunzlau (Boleslavia) received its name in the 12th century from Duke Boleslas, who separated it from the duchy of Glogau. Its importance was increased by numerous privileges and the possession of extensive mining works. It was frequently captured and recaptured in the wars of the 17th century, and in 1739 was completely destroyed by fire. In 1813 it was the scene of a battle between the French and the Allies. Population in 1871,8812.