BURLINGTON, a city and port of entry of the United States in Burlington county, New Jersey, 18 Miles N.E. of Philadelphia, on the Delaware, in 40° 5' N. lat. and 73° 10' W. long. It is well built, has an abundant supply of water, and forms a favourite summer resort for the inhabitants of Philadelphia. Its educational institutions are of considerable importance, and comprise an Episcopal college, founded in 1S46; St Mary's Hall, also under Episcopalian management ; two large boarding schools ; and a number of public schools, which are well endowed. There is also a town-hall and a valuable library. Though it has greatly declined with the rise of Philadelphia., Burlington still maintains a respectable shipping trade; in 1871 it had 131 vessels with a registered tonnage of 12,525. The first settlement of the city dates from 1667, and was principally due to a number of Quakers. New Beverly, as the place was originally called, grew rapidly in importance, and was the seat of the Government of New Jersey till 1790. It had a large trade with the West Indies, and was raised to the rank of a bishopric, Queen Anne endowing the church with an extensive estate. Population in 1870, 5817.