BRAUNSBERG, a town of Prussia, capital of a circle in the government of Konigsberg, on the Passaye, between three or four miles from its mouth in the Frische Haff. It is the scat of the Roman Catholic bishop of Ermeland, and possesses numerous Roman Catholic institutions. Of these the most important are the Lyceum Hosianum, founded in 1564 by the Cardinal Bishop Rosins, and in 1818 raised to the rank of a faculty of theology, and the deaf and dumb asylum which was established in 1811. There is also a school for the education of schoolmasters. Brewing, tanning, and weaving are the most important industries of the town, which also carries on a certain amount of trade in corn, ship timber, and yarn. The river is navigable for small vessels. Braunsberg was founded by the Teutonic knights in the middle of the 13th century. Destroyed by the Prussians in 1262 it was restored in 1279, and admitted to the Hanseatic League in 1284. After numerous vicissitudes it fell into the hands of the Poles in 1520, and in 1626 it was captured by Gustavus Adolphus. The Swedes kept possession till 1632. Population in 1871, 10,471.