CALVI, a fortified town in Corsica, the capital of an arrondissement, is situated on a peninsula in the bay to which it gives its name, 38 miles W.S.W. of Bastia, in 42° 34' 7" N. lat. and 8° 45' 10" E. long. Its position is unsheltered, and its ancient fortifications present a mournful appearance, while its climate is rendered unhealthy by the exhalations from the neighbouring lagoon. Since the foundation of Ile Rousse by Paoli it has greatly decayed, and its interest is now mainly historical or antiquarian. The most important buildings are the old palace of the Genoese governor and the church with the monuments of the Baglioni family. Calvi was founded in the 13th century by Giovanniello of Pietra Allerata, one of the military adventurers of that restless period. In 1278 it passed into the hands of the Genoese, and from that date it was remarkable for its adherence to their side. It was attacked by De Thermes in 1553, and two years after it stood no fewer than three sieges with such determined resistance that the Genoese senate caused Citultas Calvi semper fdclis to be carved on the chief gate of the city, which still preserves the proud inscription. In 1794 Calvi was captured by the English, but it was retaken by the Corsicans in the following year. Population in 1872, 2161.