SANTIAGO (or ST JAGO) DE CUBA, a city and seaport of Cuba, at one time the capital of the whole island, and now the chief town of the eastern department, is situated in 19° 57' 7" N. lat. and 75° 54' 3" W. long. (lighthouse), on a fine bay on the south coast. The spacious and well-defended harbour is accessible to the largest vessels, but silt near the wharf allows only those drawing less than 14 feet to come alongside. The city, which climbs a hill-side 150 feet above the bay, has considerably improved since 1870, though its streets are still badly paved. It contains the largest cathedral in the island, a theatre, of the bay inland from Punta de Sal. The estimated population is between 21,000 and 30,000. - Founded by Diego Velazquez in 1514, and incorporated as a city in 1522, Santiago is memorable mainly for the French occupation and ransom in 1553, and the affair of the ship "Virginius" in 1873, which resulted in the Spanish Government paying an indemnity to the United States for tho murder of Captain Fry and his companions.