ST DAVID'S, a village of Pembrokeshire, South Wales, and the seat of a bishopric, is situated in the valley of the Alan, 16 miles north-west of Haverfordwest, the nearest railway station, and 11 miles east from the most westerly point of Wales. By some it is supposed to be the Roman Menapia. It consists of straggling and somewhat mean houses, occupying the crest of the hill above the cathedral. It was the birthplace of St David, the patron saint of Wales. The see, which includes nearly the whole of South Wales, was founded at least not later than the 7th century. Till the middle of the 12th century the bishops had archiepiscopal powers. The existing cathedral was begun in 1180. Its tower fell in 1220, crashing through the choir and transepts; when it was rebuilt the old western arch was retained. About the time the choir and transepts were repaired St Thomas's chapel was added. In 1248 an earthquake caused the walls of the nave to bulge. The chapels east of the presbytery were begun about this period, and the lady chapel between 1296 and 1328. The aisles of the nave and of the presbytery were raised by Bishop Gower (1328-1347), who set up the beautiful stone rood screen. The great window in the south transept in the Perpendicular style was erected in 1384, and the roofs renewed in the Late Perpendicular between 1461 and 1522. The west front was rebuilt by Nash about the end of the 18th century, and in 1862 extensive restorations, including the rebuilding of the two western piers of the tower and of the west front, were begun under the direction of Sir G. G. Scott. The cathedral contains the tomb of Edmund Tudor, father of Henry VII., and the shrine of St David. The total internal length of the building is 298 feet, the breadth of the nave (with aisles) 70 feet, and the breadth of the transepts 27 feet 3 inches. Parts of the rich interior decoration of the nave are particularly worthy of notice. To the north of the cathedral are the picturesque ruins of the chapel of St Mary's College, founded in 1377. On the other side of the Alan arc the remains of the bishop's palace, a masterpiece of Bishop Gower, particularly noteworthy for the beautiful arcade and parapet running round the whole building. It was partly unroofed by Bishop Barlow in 1536. In the centre of the village stands the ancient cross, 2S feet high, the steps of which were restored by Bishop Thirlwall in 1873. The place is without municipal government, its mayor being the officer of the bishop's manorial court. The population of the parish in 1881 was 2053.