ST CHARLES, a city of the United State; the county seat of St Charles county, Missouri, is situated on the left or north bank of the Missouri 20 miles from its mouth, and 23 from St Louis by the St Louis and Omaha line of the Wabash, St Louis, and Pacific Railway, which crosses the river by a great iron bridge 6535 feet long, erected in 1871 at a cost of $1,750,000. Besides one of the largest car-factories in the United State; the industrial establishments of St Charles comprise tobacco-factories, flour-mills, hominy-mills, creameries, woollen-factories, and breweries. St Charles College (Methodist Episcopal), chartered in 1838, the Lindenwood Female College (Presbyterian), the Convent of the Sacred Heart, and the Roman Catholic public library are the principal institutions. In 1850 the inhabitants numbered only 1498 ; by 1870 they were 5570, and in 1880 5014 (in the township 8417).
A Spanish post was established at St Charles in 1769. As a town it dates from 1809 and as a city from 1849. The first State legislature of Missouri met in the town in 1821 and St Charles continued to be the State capital till 1826.