ST JOHNSBURY, a township of the United States, capital of Caledonia county, Vermont, on the Passumpsic river (a tributary of the river Connecticut), about 50 miles south of the Canadian frontier, and on the railway between Boston (205 miles) and Montreal. St Johnsbury is the seat of perhaps the largest scale-factory in the world, which employs about 1000 hands and works up 6000 tons of iron per annum. The township contains an atheneum, public library (12,000 vols.), and art gallery. The population has increased from 2758 in 1850 to 4665 in 1870 and 5800 in 1880. The three villages are distinguished as St Johnsbury (3360 in 1880), St Johnsbury Centre, and St Johnsbury East. Founded in 1786, the township received its name in honour of St John de Cri.wecceur, French consul at New York, and a benefactor of Vermont.