SEVRES, a town of France, in the department of Seine-et-Oise, on the left bank of the Seine, midway between Paris and Versailles, with a population of 6768 in 1881, owes its celebrity to the Government porcelain manufactory, which dates from 1756. In 1876 a new building was erected at the end of the park of St Cloud to replace the older structures, which were in a dangerous state, but have since been transformed into a normal school for girls. In the museum connected with the works are preserved specimens of the different kinds of ware manufactured in all ages and countries, and the whole series of models employed at Sevres from the commencement of the manufacture, for an account of which see vol. xis. pp. 637-38. A technical school of mosaic was established at Sevres in 1875.