St Et'statius, Or St Eustache
ST Et'STATIUS, or ST EUSTACHE, one of the Dutch West India Islands, a dependency of Curacao, lying northwest of St Kitts in 17° 50' N. lat. and 62° 40' W. long., consists of two volcanic cones and an intervening valley, and contains the small town of Orangetown and two forts. The population, which from 7600 in 1786 had decreased to 1741 (about 1000 Negroes), was again 2247 in 1882. Between 300 and 400 vessels visit the island annually. Yams and sweet potatoes are exported (5187 and 3010 tons in 1882). The Dutch occupied St Eustatius in 1635, and, after frequent French and English irruptions, were confirmed in their possession of it in 1814.