ST AMAND-LES-EAUX, a town of France, in the department of Nord, at the junction of the Elnon with the Scarpe (a left-hand tributary of the Scheldt), 71 miles by rail north-west of Valenciennes and 22 south-east of Lille. It has numerous industrial establishments, but is better known from the mineral waters in the vicinity. Though from Roman coins found in the mud it is evident that these must have been frequented during the Roman period, it is only two centuries since they began to be again turned to account. There are four distinct springs ; the water (75° Fahr.) contains sulphates of lime and sulphur, and deposits white gelatinous threads without smell or taste. The black mud, which constantly gives out sulphuretted hydrogen, is composed of three strata - (1) a clayey peat, (2) clay, and (3) a composition of silica, carbonate of lime, oxide of iron, and aluminium. Numerous small sulphurous springs ooze through the lowest stratum and, soaking those above, form a slough in which patients suffering from rheumatism, gout, and certain affections of liver and skin remain for hours at a time. The population in 1881 was 7881 (commune, 11,184).
St Amand owes its name to St Amami, bishop of Tongres, who founded a monastery here in the reign of Dagobert. The abbey was laid waste by the Normans in 882 and by the count of Hainault in 1340. The town was captured by Mary of Burgundy in 1447, by the count of Ligne, Charles V.'s lieutenant, in 1521, and finally in 1667 by the French. The abbey has been destroyed, with the exception of the gateway flanked by two octagonal pavilions, now occupied by municipal offices ; and of the abbey church there remains only the 17th-century facade.