ST DIE, a town of France, chef-lieu of an arrondissement and a bishop's see in the department of Vosges, is situated on the right bank of the Meurthe, 1030 feet above the sea, on the railway from Luneville (32 miles northwest) to Epinal (38 miles south-west). One portion of the town was rebuilt after the fire of 1757 in the regular and monumental style of Nancy ; the other has a somewhat mean appearance. Several Alsatian manufacturers having emigrated to St Die on the annexation of their country to Germany, the town has made great progress since 1871, and now possesses weaving factories, bleacheries, hosiery factories, engineering works, a tile work, and an extensive brewery. The cathedral has a Romanesque nave (10th century) and a Gothic choir ; the portal, in red sandstone, dates from the 18th century. A fine cloister, recently restored and containing a beautifully executed stone pulpit, leads to the Petite Eglise or Notre Dame, a well-preserved specimen of early Romanesque. Other points of interest are the library, the museum, belonging to the Societe Philomathique Vosgienne, the large schools, and the public fountains. The town commands an extensive view of the Vosges and is a convenient centre for excursions. The population in 1881 was 12,677 (15,312 in the commune).
St Did (Drodalum, Throdata, S. •Deorlati Fanunt) grew up round a monastery founded in the 6th century by St Deodatns of Nevers, who gave up his episcopal functions in order to retire to this place. In the 10th century the community became a chapter of canons ; and among those who subsequently held the rank of provost or dean were 'Giovanni de' Medici (afterwards Pope Leo amid several princes of the house of Lorraine. Among the extensive privileges enjoyed by them was that of coining money. Though they cooperated in building the town walls, the canons and the dukes of Lorraine soon became rival competitors for the authority over St 'Mt:. The institution of a town council in 1628, and the establishment under King Stanislaus of a bishopric which appropriated part of their spiritual jurisdiction, contributed greatly to diminish the influence of the canons ; and with the Revolution they were completely swept away. During the 17th century the town was repeatedly sacked by the Burgundians under Charles the Bold, by the French, and by the Swedes. It was also ,partially destroyed by fire in 1065, 1155, 1554, and 1757. St Die was the seat of a very early printing press.