ROVIGNO, a city of Austria, in the province of Istria, is picturesquely situated on the coast of the Adriatic, about 12 miles south of Parenzo, and 10 miles by rail from Canfanaro, a junction on the railway between Divazza (Trieste) and Pola. It has two harbours, with shipbuilding yards; and it carries on several industries and a good export trade, especially in olive-oil and a cement manufactured in the little island of Sant' Andrea. The population was 9564 in 1869 and 9522 in 1880.
According to tradition Rovigno was originally built on an island, Cissa by name, which disappeared during the earthquakes about 737. In the 6th century, as the local legend has it, the body of St Enphemia of Chalcedon was miraculously conveyed to the island ; and at a later date it was transported to the summit of the promontory, Monte di Sant' Eufemia, whither it was restored by the Venetians in 1410 after being in the possession of the Genoese from 1380. The diocese of Rovigno was merged in 1008 in the bishopric of Parenzo ; but its church continued to have the title of cathedral. Rovigno passed definitively into the hands of the Venetians in 1330, and it remained true to the republic till the treaty of Campo Formio (1797).