SCHLETTSTADT, a small town in Lower Alsace, stands on the III, 26 miles to the south of Strasburg. It possesses two fine churches, relics of a period of former importance, and carries on manufactures of wire gauze, and a considerable trade in country produce. The population in 1880 was 8979 (7755 Roman Catholics), showing a slight decrease since it has passed into German hands.
Schlettstadt is a place of very early origin, and became a free town of the empire in the 13th century. In the 15th century it was the seat of a celebrated academy, founded by Agricola, which contributed not a little to the revival of learning in this part of Germany ; Erasmus of Rotterdam was one of its students. In 1634 the town came into the possession of France, and it was afterwards fortified by Vauban. It offered little resistance, however, to the Germans in 1870, and the fortifications have been razed.