Prisrend, Prisdren, Prisdra
PRISREND, PRISDREN, PRISDRA, PISDRA, PISREN, or Pisti.t, in Roumelia, the chief town of a sandjak and the seat of a Greek and a Roman Catholic archbishop, in the Turkish vilayet of Kossovo (formerly Monastir), stretches for 2 or 3 miles along the north-western base of the Scarclus or Shar-dagh, and is traversed by the rapid waters of the Resna ..)litritza, which, issuing from a deep gorge a little above the town, joins the Thin (White or Albanian Prin) a few miles below. To the north-north-west of Prisrend, which lies at a, 'height of 1577 feet above the sea, a great undulating and fertile plain extends for more than 40 miles towards Ipek. In 1865 the Boman Catholic archbishop estimated the total at 50,000 (8000 Moham-medan families, 3000 Greek, and 150 Latin). It is now about 46,000. There is a castle on the buttress of the Scardus, at the foot of which lies the Christian quarter, with a small brick-built ancient-looking Byzantine church. The old cathedral, now a mosque, is also a, Byzantine build-ing. Prisrend, doubtfully identified with Tharendus, \vas at one time the capital of Servia, and the district is still called Old Servia. At present the town owes much of its importance to its manufacture of arms ; and it also pro-duces glass, pottery, and saddlery.