PATERSO_N, the "Lyons of America," a city of the United States, capital of Passaic county, New Jersey, is situated on the Passaic river and the Morris Canal, 17 miles north-west of New York by the Erie and the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroads. As the river, which forms the boundary of the city for a distance of 9 miles, has at one place a sbeer fall of 50 feet, it is an unfailing source of abundant water-power ; and Paterson ra,nks second among the manufacturing cities of the State. Silk, iron, and cotton are the great industrial sta.ples ; silk-dyeing is also pra,ctised. One of the chief industries is the making of locomotives. Further, fire-engines, " Whitney " sewing-machines, iron bridges, brass wares, flax, hemp, and jute goods, calico-prints, paper, and chemi-cals are all manufactured. The population was 11,334 in 1850, 19,586 in 1860, 33,579 in 1870, and 51,031 in 1880. Founded in 1792 by a cotton company under the patronage of Alexander Hamilton and named after Gover-nor 'William Paterson, who signed its town charter, Paterson obtained the rank of a city in 1851.