PFORZHEIM, one of the chief industrial towns in the grand-duchy of Baden, is pleasantly situated at the con-fluence of the Nagold, the Warm, and the Enz, on the northern margin of the Black Forest, 15 miles to the south-east of Carlsruhe. The most prominent buildings are the old palace of the inargraves of Baden-Durlach and the Schlosskirche, the latter an interesting edifice of the 12th to the 15th centuries, containing the tombs and monu-ments of the margraves. The staple industry is the manu-facture of gold and silver ware and jewellery, which gives employment to nearly 10,000 workmen, besides which there are iron and copper works, and manufactures of chemicals, paper, leather, cloth, and other articles. A brisk trade is maintained in timber, cattle, and agricultural produce. In 1880 the population was 24,037, having alinost doubled itself in twenty years. Four-fifths of the inhabitants are Protestants.
Pforzheim (Porta lIercynice) is of Roman origin, and has belonged to Baden for 600 years. From about 1300 down to 1565 it was the seat of the margraves of the 13aden-Durlach-Ernestine line, now extinct. The town was taken by the troops of the Catholic League in 1624, and was destroyed by the French in 1689. The story of the 400 citizens of Pforzheim who sacrificed themselves for their prince after the battle of Wimpfen (1622) has been relegated by recent historical research to the domain of legend. The humanist Reuchlin was born at Pforzheim in 1455.