feet castle west south
PATTESON, Jonif COLERIDGE (1827-1871), bishop of Melanesia, was the eldest son of Justice Patteson and Frances Duke Coleridge, a near relation of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and was born in Gower Street, Bedford Square, 2d April 1827. He was educated at Ottery St Mary, and at Eton, where he greatly distinguished himself on the cricket-field. He entered Balliol College, Oxford, in 1845, and graduated B.A. in 1848. After spending some time on the Continent in the capacity' of tutor, he in 1852 be-came a fellow of Isierton College. In 1853 lie became curate of Alfington, Devon, and in the following y-ear he was ordained priest and joined the mission to the Mela-nesian islands in the South Pacific. There he laboured with great success, visiting the different islands of the group in the mission ship the "Southern Cross," and by his good sense and unselfish devotion winning the esteem and affection of the natives. In 1861 he was consecrated bishop of Melanesia, and in this capacity did much to promote the Christianization of the islands until his premature death by the hand of a native, 20th September 1871.
See Life by Charlotte Yonge, which first appeared in 1873, and has gone through several editions.
PAU, a city of France, formerly the capital of Bearn, and now the chief town of the de-partment of Basses Pyrenees, and the seat of a court of appeal, is situated in 43° 17' N. lat. and 0° 23' W. long., on the edge of a plateau 130 feet above the right bank of the Gave de Pa.0 (a left-ha.nd affluent of the Adour), at a hei-glit of about 620 feet above the sea. It thus enjoy's an admirable view of the Pyrenees, which rise about 25 miles to the south. A small stream, the Hedas, flowing in a deep ravine and crossed by several bridges, divides the city into two parts. The older a.nd larger is enclosed between the Hedas, the Gave, and. its other tributary the Ousse, and ends with the castle in the west, is due to its climate, which makes it a great winter health-resort. The most strikim, characteristic, is the stillness of the air, resulting from die peculiarly sheltered situation. The town is built on a sandy soil, and the line of the streets running east and west is favourable to ventilation. The average rainfall is about 40 inches, and the mean winter temperature is 44°, the mean for the year being 62'.
Apart from an export flour-trade and some manufactures of chocolate and Beam linen, the inhabitants of Pau depend entirely on their four thousand winter-visitors. Place Roy-ale (in the centre of which, instead of the older statue of Louis XIV., now stands Raggi's statue of Henry IV., with bas-reliefs by Etex) is admired for the view which it affords over the valley- of the Gave and the Pyrenees ; it is con-nected by a fine boulevard with the castle gardens. Be-yond the castle a park of thirty acres planted with beech trees stretches along the high bank of the Gave. The castle is bounded on the north and west by the Hedas, on the south by a canal drawn from the Gave, and on the east by a, moat 30 feet deep ; access is obtained by three bridges, that across the Hedas being of ancient construction. The castle is flanked by six square towers : south-east is that of Gaston Pluebus (113 feet high) ; north-east is the tower of Montauset or Montoiseau, so called because reached by removable ladders ; east, the new tower ; north-west, that of Billeres ; and on the west are those of Mazeres. Another to the south is named after the mint in which Calvin used to preach.
In the gardens to the west of the castle stand a statue of Gaston Plicebus by Triquety and two porphyry vases presented by Bernadotte king of Sweden, who was born at Pau. In the castle court is a well 223 feet deep, with 100 feet of water ; but it has been closed since 1855 On the ground-floor is the olcl hall of the estates of Bearn, 85 feet long and 36 feet wide, adorned with a white marble statue of Henry IV., and magnificent Flemish tapestries ordered by Francis I. Several of the upper chambers are adorned with Flemish, Brussels, or Grobelin tapestry-, with tables in Swedish porphyry, Sevres vases, fine coffers (notably a Gothic coffer from Jerusalem), arm-chairs of the 16th century-, Venetian and St Gobain glass, &c. ; but the Richelieu) and his own cradle made of a tortoise-shell. In the keep is a library- of 6000 volumes, mainly of works relating to Henry IV. The two Gothic churches of St Jacques and St Martin are both modern ; but the latter is of note for the height and elegance of its tower, its stained glass, and the fine Pyrenean marbles used in tbe high altar, the baldachin, and the sanctuary. Besides the state Protestant church (Eglise Francaise Reformee) there are Presbyterian, Anglican, and Russian places of worship. The population of Pau (about 6000 at the close of the I8th century) was 27,300 in 1871, and 29,971 in 1881.