LUD111.A.NA, the chief town and headquarters station of Ludhiana district, is situated on the south bank of the old bed of the Sutlej, 8 miles from tire present bed of the river, in 30° 55' 25" N. lat. and 75° 53' 30" E. long. The population in 1868 was 39,983, viz., Mohammedans, 27,860 ; Hindus, 10,208 ; Sikhs, 45 ; Christians, 79 ; "others," 1791. The Kashmiris retain their hereditary skill as weavers of shawls and pashnzina cloth, the value of the quantity exported-in 1871-72 being returned at £13,350. Shawls of the soft Rhmpur wool, cotton cloths, scarfs, turbans, furniture, and carriages also form large items in the thriving trade of the town. Since the opening of the railway Ludhiana has become a great central grain mart, having extensive export transactions both with the north and south. The American Presbyterian Mission has a church and school, with a small colony of native Christians. The town bears a bad reputation for unhealthiness.