RANDERS, a town of Denmark, at the head of an amt in the province of North Jutland (Norrejylland), on the Gudenaa, about 8 miles above its junction with Randers Fjord, an inlet of the Cattegat. It is situated on the railway that runs south by Aarhuus to Fredericia, and has a branch line (1875) to Grenaa on the coast. Though a place of considerable autiquity - being mentioned in 1086 as the meeting-place of insurgents against Knud, the saint - Randers has few remains of old buildings and bears the stamp of a compact modern manufacturing town that owes its importance to its distilleries, dye-works, carriage-fac-tories, salt-works, weaving-factories, tan-works, &c. St Morten's church dates from the 14th century, but bas been frequently altered and enlarged down to 1869-70. Other buildings are the town-house (1778, restored 1858), the court-house (1860-62), the infirmary (1870), the alms-house (1868), the Jewish synagogue (1858), and the high school (1858 ; the institution founded by Christian III.). The population was 11,354 in 1870 and 13,457 in 1880.
Randers is best known in history as the scene of the assassina-tion of Count Geerts by Niels Ebbeson in 1340. In the Middle Ages it had six churches and four monastic establishments - the oldest a Benedictine nunnery (1170). The Grey Friars' building was turned into a castle (Dronningborg) after the Reformation ; its church was burned down in 1698.