RAAB (Hungarian Gy6r), the capital of a Hungarian province of the same name, lies at the influx of the Raab into a branch of the Danube, 70 miles to the south-east of Vienna. It is a well-built town, with a pleasant promenade laid out on the site of the old fortifications, and is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop. The cathedral dates from the 12th century, but has recently been modernized ; the bishop's palace is an imposing castellated edifice, with dungeons constructed by the Turks. The town possesses several other churches, two of which belong to the Protestants and one to the Greek Church, besides convents, schools, and an academy of jurisprudence. The theatre, on an island formed by the Danube and the Raab, is also a handsome building. The inhabitants, who numbered 20,980 in 1880, manufacture cloth and tobacco and carry on a considerable trade in grain and horses.
Raab occupies the site of the Roman Arabona, and by the 10th century had become a place of some importance. In 1594 it fell into the hands of the Turks, who, however, retained possession of it for four years only. In 1809 the forces of the insurgent Hungarian noblesse were easily defeated here by Napoleon's veterans ; and the attempts made to maintain the town against the Austrians in 1848-49 were also fruitless. About 10 miles to the south-east of Raab is St Martinsberg, the oldest and wealthiest abbey in Hungary.