RAWITSCH (Polish Ravicz), a small manufacturing town of Prussia in the province of Posen, lies near the Silesian frontier, 37 miles to the north of Breslau. It is regularly built and contains a handsome Protestant church and a substantial town-hall. The principal industry is the manufacture of snuff and cigars, for the first of which in particular it enjoys a considerable reputation. Trade is carried on in grain, wool, cattle, hides, and timber. The population in 1880 was 12,260, made up of 7587 Protestants, 3539 Roman Catholics, and 1123 Jews. Rawitsch is of comparatively modern origin, having been founded by Protestant refugees from Silesia during the Thirty Years' War.