RAMPUR, a native state of India, in the Rohilkhand division of the North-Western Provinces, lying between 28°26' and 29°10' N. lat. and between 78°54' and 79°33' E. long. It is bounded on the N. and.1-1r. by the British district of 3Iuradabad, and on the N.E. and S.E. by the district of Bareli. The country is level and generally fertile ; it is well watered in the north by the rivers Kosila hnd Nahul and in the south by the Ramganga. It adjoins the Tarai on the north, at the foot of the Hima-layas, and is exceedingly unhealthy. The total area of the state is 945 square miles, with a population (1881) of 541,914 (males 282,359, females 259,555), of whom 302,989 were Hindu.s and 238,925 Mohammedans.
The revenue of Rampur in 1883-84 was £167,031 and the ordinary annual expenditure £160,134. Rice, sugar, hides, and a kind of damask are the principal exports, and the imports comprise elephants, English cloth, and groceries and salt. During the mutiny of 1857 the nawab of Rampur rendered important services to the British, for which he received a grant of land assessed at X12,852 in perpetuity, besides other honours.