REICHENBERG (Bohem. Liberec), a town of Bohemia, with an independent jurisdiction, lies on the Neisse, about 50 miles to the north-east of Pram and not far from the Saxon and Prussian frontiers. It is the centre of the important cloth manufacture of northern Bohemia, and is the third town of Bohemia in size and the second in industrial importance. Its cloth factories employ about 7000 workpeople and produce goods to the annual value of upwards of a million sterling, while weaving is also extensively prosecuted as a domestic industry. Other important manufactures are cott,on, yarn, machinery, and liqueur. Trade is carried on in the raw materials and finished products of the various industries. The most prominent buildings are the town-house, of 1601 ; the chateau of Count Clam Gallas ; the Dekanalkirche, of the 16th century; the Protestant church, a handsome modern Romanesque edifice ; the hall of the cloth-vvorkers ; the new law courts ; the new theatre ; and the weaving school. The population in 1880 was 28,090.
Reichenberg is first mentioned in a document of 1348, and from 1622 to 1634 was among the possessions of the great Wallenstein, since whose death it has belonged to the Gallas and Clam Gallas families. The woollen industry was introduced about the middle of the 16th century. In 1866 Reichenberg was the headquarters of Prince Charles Frederick of Prussia.