MIDNAPIJR, chief town and headquarters station of the above district, is situated on the north bank of the Kasai river, with a population in 1872 of 31,491. The town has a large bcizeir, with commodious public offices. It is healthy, dry, and well supplied with water. An American mission maintains an excellent training school, together with a printing press, and has founded several village schools in the district. Its efforts have been particularly successful among the Sa,nttils, and some of the earliest and most valuable works on their language have issued from the Midnapur mission press. A brisk manufacture of brass and copper utensils takes place in the town ; it is also the centre of a large indigo and silk industry.