MiRZAPUR, a district in the North-Western Provinces of India, lying between 23° 51' 30" and 25° 31' N. lat., and between 82° 9' 15" and 83° 0' 36" E. long., is bounded on the N. by Jaunpur and Benares, on the E. by Shahabad and Lohardaga, on the S. by Sargtija state, and on the W. by Allahabad and Rewah state, and has an area of 5217 square miles. It is crossed from east to west by the Vindhya and Kaimur ranges. A central jungly plateau connects these, and separates the valley of the Ganges from that of the Son.
The population in 1872 was 1,015,203 (males, 520,496; females, 494,707), of whom 949,644 were Hindus, 64,809 Mohammedans, and 750 Christians. The non-Asiatic population numbered 623. Only three towns had a population exceeding 5000 : - Mirzapur, 67,274; ChanAr, 10,154; and Ahraura, 9091. Out of a Government-assessed area of 3048 square miles, 1313 are cultivated, 497 cultivable waste, and 1238 uncultivable. The part of MirzApur which lies north of the Vindliyas is very highly cultivated and thickly peopled, but the rest of the district consists largely of ravines and forests, with a very sparse population. Local manufactures comprise carpets of a superior description, brass ware, and shellac. The East Indian Railway traverses the district, along the right bank of the Ganges, for a distance of 32 miles. The climate is slightly warmer and damper than that of districts farther north and east. The mean annual rainfall is 42.7 inches.