Moron, Or Moron De La Frontera
MORON, or MORON DE LA FRONTERA, a town of Spain, in the province of Seville, about 32 miles to the southeast of that city, occupies an irregular site upon broken chalk hillocks at a distance of a mile and a half from the right bank of the Guadaira. It is connected by rail with Utrera on the Cadiz and Seville line. On the highest elevation to the eastward are the ruins of the ancient castle, of considerable importance during the Moorish period, and afterwards used as a palace by the counts of Ureria. In 1810-11 it was fortified by the French, but blown up by them in the following year. The chief public building of Moron is the large parish church, which dates from the 16th century, but presents no noteworthy features. The fine district between Moron and the Serrania de Ronda is largely occupied by olive plantations, and the trade in oil and other agricultural produce forms the chief industry of the town. Moron is also famous throughout Spain for its chalk (cal de Moron), from which the whitewash extensively used in the Peninsula is derived. The population of the town was 14,879 in 1878.