Millau, Or Militaii
MILLAU, or MILITAII, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Aveyron, France, is situated on the left bank of the Tarn, half a mile below the point at which that river is joined by the Dourbie, and 48 miles to the south-east of Rodez, on the Rodez and Montpellier line. Itself 1210 feet above the level of the sea, it is overlooked by hills covered with vineyards and fruit trees or by bare and scarped rocks. The streets of Milian are narrow, and some of the houses of great antiquity, but the town is surrounded by spacious boulevards. On two sides the Place d'Armes is adorned by stone columns supporting galleries of wood; the only buildings of special interest are the Romanesque church of Notre Dame, and the belfry of the old hotel de ville. The principal industry is the manufacture of gloves, but various branches of the leather manufacture are also carried on. The chief articles of connuerce are wool (both raw and prepared), Roquefort cheese, wine, almonds, and live stock. The population in 1881 was 16,628.
The viscounts of Milian are mentioned as early as the 10th century ; in the 16th it became one of the leading strongholds of the Reformed party in the south of France. Its industry suffered severely by the revocation of the edict of Nantes.