TAVIRA, a seaport of Portugal, in the province of Algarves, at the mouth of the Seca, 21 miles east-north-east of Faro. It is regularly built, and has an alcazar, used as an official residence, besides other public buildings. It has sardine and tunny fisheries, and carries. on a considerable coasting trade. Excellent fruit is grown in the neighbourhood. The population in 1878 was 11,459.