TERUEL, the capital' and most important town of the above province, is situated on the left bank of the Guadalaviar, 142 miles east of Madrid, and on the high road from. Calatayud to Valencia. It is an ancient walled city, fast falling into decay, with narrow gloomy streets and crumbling mediaeval houses. Some of the numerous churches are worth seeing, with their paintings by the rarely known 17th-century artist Antonio Vis'quert, as is also the great aqueduct of 140 arches, raised 1555-60 by Pierre Bedel, a French architect. In the cloisters of San Pedro lie the remains of the celebrated "lovers of Teruel," Juan de Marcilla and Isabella de Segura, whose pathetic story has formed the subject of numerous dramas and poems by Perez de Montalban, Vague de Salas, Hartzenbusch, and others. The cathedral is Churrigueresque. Teruel was raised to the dignity of a see in 1577, the bishop being suffragan of Zaragoza. The population of the city in 1877 was 9482.