TROITSK, a district town of Russia, in the government of Orenburg, situated in a fertile steppe 392 miles to the north-east of Orenburg, on the Siberian highway, is one suited Trollope exactly, being not office work, which he of those towns which have grown rapidly of late in the always hated, but a kind of travelling inspectorship. And south-east of Russia. The Troitskiy fort, erected in 1743, here he not only began that habit of hunting which (after became a centre for the exchange trade with the Kirghiz a manner hardly possible in the stricter conditions of steppe and Turkestan, and in that trade Troitsk is now official work nowadays) he kept up for many years even second only to Orenburg. Cotton, silk, and especially in England, but within three years of his appointment horses and cattle are imported, while leather, cotton, and engaged himself to Miss Rose Heseltine, whom he had met woollen and metal wares are exported. An active trade in Ireland but who was of English birth. They were in corn for the Ural gold-mines is carried on. The popu- married in June 1844. His headquarters had previously lation in 1S84 was 13,000. been at Banagher ; he was now transferred to Clonmel.