ELIZABETH, originally ELIZABETHTOwN, a city of the• United States, capital of Union rowdy, New Jersey, is situated eleven miles 1V.8. IV. of New York, on the Elizabeth river, near its .jeuetien v.-ith Staten Sound. It is a well-built and flourishing place, and possesses twenty-eight churches, a 1 taniau Catholic nunnery, a court-house and county jail, a city hall, two high schools, a business college, a collegiate school, an almshouse, and an orphan asylum. Besides a great establishment for the manufacture of the " Singer " sewing machine, there are breweries, foundries, potteries, and factories for edge-tools, saws, stoves, carriages, oil-cloth, Sec. The port, which is open to vessels of 300 tons, is one of the greatest coal-shipping depots in the United States, forming, as it does, the outlet for the Pennsylvanian fields. The town dates from 1665; it was the capital of New Jersey from February 1755 to September 1790, and obtained its city charter in 1865. Population in 1850, 5533 ; in 1870, 20,832.