EMMERICH (the ancient Embrica), a town of Prussia, in the government district of Dusseldorf, i3 situated on the right bank of the Rhine, and on the railway from Cologne to Amsterdam, 5 miles N.E. of Cleves. It has a considerable shipping trade, and manufactories of tobacco, chocolate, leather, liqueurs, ink, and perfumery. Its old minster church, built in the middle of the 1 1 th century, contains some fine specimens of choir stalls. Emmerich was an important place at an early period, and seems in the middle of the 15th century to have contained 40,000 inhabitants. In 1794 it was bombarded by the French, and in 1806 it took the oath of allegiance to Murat. It passed into the possession of Prussia in 1815. The population in 1875 was 8117.