DUNBLANE, a market-town in Perthshire, Scotland, formerly the seat of a bishopric, pleasantly- situated on the banks of the Allan. Its cathedral is one of the few specimens of Gothic architecture in Scotland which escaped destruction at the Reformation. It is said to have been founded in 1142, and was nearly rebuilt by Clemens, blshop of Dunblane, about 1240. The whole building is of the Early Pointed style of architecture, except the tower, which is Early Norman. The cathedral remains unroofed, with the exception of the choir and chapter house. The choir has been used as the parish church since the Reformation, but lately alterations have been made by the removal of a thick partition wall and galleries, and the erection of a light partition wall containing two windows, the gift of Sir William Stirling Maxwell, Bart. One of the bishops of Dunblane was Leighton, who left his library, which is still preserved, to the clergy of the diocese. About a mile and a half to the cast of the town is Sheriffmuir, where a battle was fought in 1715 between the earl of liar, in the command of the troops of the Pretender, and the royal forces under the duke of Argyll. Dunblane has no charter. A sheriff court and commissary courts are held there, and there is a large district prison. There is a market on Thursdays, and several fairs are held annually. At Cromlix, a mile and a half to the north, there are two mineral springs, and not far from the town an elegant hydropathic establishment has been erected. The population in 1871 was 1921.