DUNKELD, a burgh of barony and market-town of Perthshire, Scotland, situ.ated on the north bank of the Tay, 15 miles N.N.W. from Perth. The river is crossed there by a fine bridge of seven arches, begun in 1805 and completed in 1808, at a cost of .E42,000. With the exception of the town-hall (ere,cted 1877) and some other modern build-ings, the village consists of narrow and ill-built streets. presenting an antiquated aspect. It is buried among the dark shades of luxuriant trees, and stands in the centre of a valley surrounded by mountains of considerable elevation, which are wooded to their summits. The river, the bridge, the surrounding mountains, and the remains of an ancient cathedral combine to give the town a very romantic appearance. As early as 729 the Culdees had a mon astery at Dunkeld, which. was converted into a cathe-dral by David I. in 1127. Its architecture is of a compo-site character, exhibiting features both of the Norman and Pointed styles. The centre of the nave is 120 feet by 60, the walls are 40 fe,et high, and the aisles 12 feet wide. The choir was founded by Bishop Sinclair in 1350 ; and the tower, which is about 90 feet high, was begun by Bishop Lauder in 1469, and completed by Bishop Brown in 1501. It contains four bells. The cathedral was unroofed at the Reformation, but the choir has been rebuilt, and is now used as the parish church. Beneath the charter-house is the sepulchral vault of the Athole family. In the porch of the church is the tomb of Alexander Stuart, earl of Buchan, better known as the 1Volf of 13aclenoch, who died in 1394. The most famous of the bishops of Dunkeld was Gavin Douglas, the translator of the .zEneid. Immediately behind the cathedral stands Dunkeld House, the mansion of the dukes of Athole. The grounds of the ducal residence (which are extensive and picturesque) contain two of the earliest larch trees introduced into Britain ; they were brought from Tyrol in 1738. A mile south of Dunkeld, on the other side of the Tay, is the modern village of Birnam, which has sprung up at the railway station. It lies at the foot of Birimm hill, said to derive its name from the famous wood connected with the fate of Macbeth. The population of the burgh in 1871 was 783.